Curwen House Classic Rooms



C14 - The Jerusalem Room

The area known as Salem today was originally named Naumkeag after the tribe of Indians who inhabited Essex County. However, early settlers preferred to call it Salem, a name that derived from Jerusalem, which means city of peace.
BOOK NOW

C31 - The Saltonstall Room

Mayor Leverett Saltonstall oversaw the building of City Hall from 1837-1838. The cornerstone was laid on September 6, 1837. Artifacts buried beneath the cornerstone included copies of local newspapers, the mayor’s speech for the organization of City Government (May 9, 1836) and the new City Charter.
BOOK NOW

C32 - The Pear Room

Salem is home to the oldest pear tree in America. The Endicott pear tree is over 375 years old. It was first planted by Governor John Endecott and still bears fruit today.
BOOK NOW

C33 - The Old Glory Room

Captain William Driver of Salem nicknamed the American flag "Old Glory." Captain Driver received a large hand-sewn flag and promptly ordered it to be flown on his ship.
BOOK NOW

C34 - The Heights Room

Admittedly, the Heights has nothing at all to do with Salem. It’s the nickname for Boston College, the alma mater of both Dick and Diane Pabich. Diane was among the first women ever admitted to Boston College and Dick is a "double eagle" — having attended both Boston College High School and Boston College.
BOOK NOW